While you are planning your monohull or catamaran charter in Greece, one of the decisions you have to make is whether you will charter a bareboat, a skippered or a crewed yacht.
Let’s see which option is ideal for your kind of Greek sailing vacations.
When you charter a yacht bareboat, you take over the “possession” and you have full responsibility of the yacht. At the same time you are free to organize your sailing trip as you wish, make your own crew and itinerary, skipper the boat yourself or hire your own skipper for relaxing and enjoying stress less vacations.
According to Greek legislation it is mandatory for the skipper to have a sailing license in order to charter a bareboat yacht (either monohull or catamaran).
It is highly recommended that there is also another person on board that has sailing experience. Moreover, we suggest that the skipper has adequate experience in docking, mooring and anchorage in Mediterranean.
The most important advantages of bareboat chartering in Greece are:
– You can challenge your sailing abilities and more importantly improve them and become a better skipper. You will be amazed of the experiences you will gain if you are in total control of a yacht.
– As far as privacy is concerned, there is no better chartering option than bareboat. The passengers on the yacht will only be your friends and this is the best way for your holidays in the sun and the sea to be relaxing and joyful!
The most important disadvantages of Bareboat Chartering in Greece are:
– You will be responsible for everyday jobs on the yacht. That means more physical work, thus more tiredness and less time for rest or other activities.
– In case of an emergency you have to rely only on yourself to find your way back to safety.
2. Skippered yacht charter in Greece
In this case you charter a yacht and hire a skipper (usually a local) to be responsible for the boat and its management. Most of the times the yacht charter company will provide you with the skipper (captain) to be with you for as long as the voyage lasts. Overall, you will enjoy every aspect of a sailing vacation but with less responsibilities.
The most important pros for a skippered yacht charter in Greece are:
– You don’t need to have a license to charter a monohull or a catamaran
– A local skipper can give you valuable advice about the best places to visit, hidden and unknown beaches, local customs, etc.
– The skipper frees up a lot of time so that you can enjoy other activities and even have more time to relax
– In case of an emergency you will have someone experienced enough to get you safely back to shore.
– If you are interested, the skipper can always give you some sailing lessons.
The most important cons of a skippered yacht charter in Greece are:
– Having a skipper means highest charter cost.
– When a skipper is on board you obviously can’t have the same privacy as you have if you charter a bareboat.
– There is always the chance that there will not be the right chemistry between you and the skipper.
3. Fully crewed yacht charter in Greece
Crewed charters are usually more luxurious than bareboat and skippered. In this case, apart from the skipper you get a crew that is responsible for sailing, navigating, preparing meals, beverages and try to satisfy any particular needs you might have. If your dream vacation includes doing absolutely nothing but enjoying the sun and the sea, having great meals and resting, this is the ideal option for you.
Main advantages of a crewed yacht charter in Greece are:
– This is the most luxurious and comfortable way of sailing vacation in Greece. A professional crew will take care of everything regarding the yacht and the journey leaving you with all the free time to enjoy yourself.
– Of course you don’t need to have a license.
– Usually crewed yachts are big enough to have separate quarters for the crew, thus providing more privacy.
Main disadvantages of a crewed yacht charter in Greece are:
– It is the most expensive way of sailing holidays
– It is the less private way to travel. Even though crew quarters are in a different part of the boat, you won’t be able to avoid the hustle of the everyday crew activities on board.